Frequently Asked Questions

Centennial Wrongful Death Attorney

Have you lost a loved one due to the negligence or criminal actions of someone else? If so, it is imperative to secure the representation of our experienced legal professionals. We are ranked in the Top 40 Under 40 Criminal Defense lawyers and have a 10/10 Superb AVVO Rating.

At The Evans Firm, attorney Michael D. Evans knows the emotional trauma and financial hardships that you are facing. We strongly advise you to take the proper steps towards receiving the compensation that you deserve. Just take a look at reviews from past clients. If you are facing a wrongful death case in Centennial, Arapahoe County, or the Denver-Metro area, our firm knows that no amount of money could ever heal the pain of a lost loved one. However, the award you may be entitled to can help soften the blow of medical expenses, lost income, and other financial obligations. We are ready to help you seek justice.

What is a wrongful death claim?

The state of Colorado defines a wrongful death claim as a civil lawsuit. The primary goal of this lawsuit is the establishment of the liable party. After discovering who is responsible for the loss of your loved one, a wrongful death claim can be filed. In order to make this claim, you must demonstrate that the death resulted from the recklessness, negligence, or intentional behavior of another individual or individuals.

Oftentimes, accidents or injuries caused by slip and falls or defective products can form the basis of a wrongful death claim. In retrospect, a wrongful death claim is a personal injury case in which the victim has passed and is unable to pursue his or her own claim. It is the responsibility of the third party to pursue this claim on behalf of the deceased loved one.

Am I eligible to file a wrongful death claim?

Generally, you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim if you are the surviving spouse, child, or parent of the deceased individual. Colorado's Revised Statute, C.R.S. 13-21-201 et. seq., identifies the individuals eligible to file a wrongful death claim and the time restrictions for doing so. Claims must be made within two years of the wrongful death.

What damages can I sue for in a wrongful death case?

As the spouse, child, or relative of the deceased individual in a wrongful death matter, you are entitled to file a lawsuit for three types of damages. Colorado law specifies that wrongful death claims can be made in order to obtain monetary damage for coverage of earnings that the deceased individual would have provided had he or she not been killed. You may also be entitled to take survival action to recover expenses associated with the death of your loved one. These damages may include medical and funeral expenses that were accrued after the death.

The three types of damages are:

  • Financial losses and loss of services suffered due to the individual's death
  • Non-economic losses (loss of love, affection, companionship)
  • Punitive damages intended to punish the wrongdoer

How long should I expect my personal injury lawsuit to take?

There is no way to determine how long it will take to resolve a wrongful death lawsuit. No case is the same and a general timetable cannot be established for wrongful death cases. While some lawsuits are settled within a few months without the need for trial, others take years to resolve and require courtroom participation. Find out why The Evans Firm is different with our trial-centered approach.

Contact The Evans Law Firm Today

We understand that you are facing many questions and concerns. When you retain our representation, we can answer and address all of these. To speak with an experienced representative who cares about your wrongful death matter, contact The Evans Law Firm.

We can work to achieve your goals and give you the peace of mind that you deserve. We proudly offer each prospective client a free case evaluation either over the phone or in person.

If you are facing a wrongful death in Centennial or a surrounding area, secure the representation of The Evans Law Firm. We leave no question unanswered and no concern unaddressed. Learn more here!

Get in Touch with Our Firm

Get My Consultation