How We Handle DV Cases
Domestic Violence Defense: The Evans Firm in Colorado
First, please see our page on
domestic violence cases in general. Also see our
law blog and
constitutional rights page to protect yourself. After you call us, we follow the following general
- Enter our appearance as your attorney with the Court and stop any contact
between you and law enforcement and prosecutors. All communication goes
- Demand a complete copy of the prosecutor's file - all evidence, police
reports, witness statements, photos, DNA analysis, video (if available),
911 calls (if available).
- Meet with you to learn about the case. Discern what your goals are. Advise
you as to the law in Colorado.
- Hire an investigator to procure favorable evidence that the police or prosecutor
may have overlooked or not collected.
- Review the prosecution's evidence once received.
- Look for issues where the police exceeded their legal authority, then research,
write, and file the appropriate motions to suppress certain evidence.
This could involve issues with entry of a home, statements, or arrest.
- Negotiate with the prosecutor to attempt to obtain some type of favorable
plea bargain or settlement. This will factor in your goals, what you are
charged with (and the maximum penalties for the charge, any favorable
facts in the case, and any mitigating circumstances (including your character).
- Litigate the motions to suppress in court (assuming no favorable resolution,
settlement, or plea bargain reached).
- Prepare your case for trial. This includes developing a defense theory
and theme, procuring evidence and witnesses, and drafting cross examination
for the prosecution's witnesses. If you decide to testify at your
trial, we also prepare you for that.
- Fight in the courtroom at trial (assuming no favorable resolution, settlement,
or plea bargain reached). This is where we excel. We have more trial experience
than most private criminal defense lawyers.
Serving Colorado In Douglas County • Arapahoe County • Adams County
Castle Rock | Parker | Lone Tree | Highlands Ranch | Littleton | Greenwood
Village | Centennial | Englewood | Denver Tech Center | Aurora | Brighton