How We Handle DUI Cases
DUI, DWAI, DWI, & DUID Defense: The Evans Firm in Colorado
No other law firm brings together solid
courtroom experience with
award winning client satisfaction to produce
extraordinary results! First, please see our page on
DUI cases in general. Also see our
law blog and
constitutional rights page to protect yourself. After you call us, we follow the following general
- Enter our appearance as your attorney with the Court and stop any contact
between you and law enforcement and prosecutors. All communication goes
- Demand a complete copy of the prosecutor's file - all evidence, police
reports, witness statements, blood or breath tests, video (if available),
911 calls (if available).
- Meet with you to learn about the case. Discern what your goals are. Advise
you as to the law in Colorado.
- Hire an investigator to procure favorable evidence that the police or prosecutor
may have overlooked or not collected.
- Review the prosecution's evidence once received.
- Retest your blood sample (if applicable) to check for accuracy.
- Look for issues where the police exceeded their legal authority, then research,
write, and file the appropriate motions to suppress certain evidence.
This could involve issues with the initial traffic stop, statements, arrest,
express consent law, or chemical testing.
- Depending on your goals and limitations, negotiate with the prosecutor
to attempt to obtain some type of favorable plea bargain or settlement.
This will factor what you are charged with (and the maximum penalties
for the charge, any favorable facts in the case, and any mitigating circumstances
(including your character).
- Litigate the motions to suppress evidence in court (assuming no favorable
resolution, settlement, or plea bargain reached).
- Prepare your case for jury trial. This includes developing a defense theory
and theme, procuring evidence and witnesses, and drafting cross examination
for the prosecution's witnesses. If you decide to testify at your
trial, we also prepare you for that.
- Fight in the courtroom at jury trial (assuming this is in line with your
goals and no favorable resolution, settlement, or plea bargain reached).
This is where we excel. We have more trial experience than most private
criminal defense lawyers.
Serving Colorado In Douglas County • Arapahoe County • Adams County
Castle Rock | Parker | Lone Tree | Highlands Ranch | Littleton | Greenwood
Village | Centenial | Engelwood | Denver Tech Center | Aurora | Brighton